Photobucket

Monday, February 3, 2014

The Dusting of 2014

Last week we got some something we do not get very often around our area...snow!

Usually when the "s" word is even mentioned for our area, people run to the store for milk and bread.  No, I am not one of those people, but it really does happen. 

Well, last week it was predicted that our area would get just a "dusting" of snow.  It was not predicted to be much and it was not predicted to cause any problems at all. (Ha...missed that forecast by several inches)

Tuesday morning, the conditions must have been just right because as soon as the flurries started to fall, they immediately stuck to the ground and started to ice the roadway.  Next thing I knew school was calling for early dismissal.   I still was not believing it was going to be anything major, just the school being cautious which was fine with me because that meant the kiddos could be home with me.

Then, I looked outside and realized that the roads were not looking good and decided to go ahead and leave to get my babies from school.  Boy, I am glad I did.  It normally is about a 10 minute drive to the kids school, but it took me over an hour to get there and back home.  We live at the top of a fairly steep hill and I barely made it up the hill.  I knew once I got up that hill, I was not getting back out in my car. 

J works about an hour from home so he left work around the same time I left to get the kids.  What would normally take him an hour to get home, ended up taking about 4 hours to get home.  The last 6 miles of his drive he was not able to complete so he had to park his car and walk the rest of the way home.  It was really the safest option because the road we live off of was already closed and he would not have been able to make it anyway. 

What was suppose to be just a dusting of snow turned out to be over 3 inches of snow on top of about 1/2 inch of ice.  The kids were out of school for the remainder of the week and J was home from work.  The roads were closed and we were happy to just stay at home and play and be lazy and snack. 

Below are some pictures of our dusting:

View from our yard:

J walking up the hill to come home.  We were so happy to see his face!:

Jack made a snow angel:

Madeline made one too:

J and Madeline tried to build a snowman but the snow was too powdery to form into a snowman:


Day 2
Madeline and J ready to explore:

We did not have a sled, so J created one for us out of an old sign.  It worked perfectly for sliding down our iced over hill:

Madeline and me:

Madeline riding in an inner tube down the hill in our backyard:

Jason had to get in on the fun too:

of course Jack did too:

My loves:

Jack and J:

Jack and me:

Jack:

Madi carrying around a block of ice (I am pretty sure she tried to throw it on her daddy):


We enjoyed the snow days we had and are very glad we got to enjoy playing in it and missing school, but this southern girl has definitely had her feel of snow and is ready for spring to get here. 


Photobucket

No comments: