Photobucket

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Children's Law...

Ok this is not something I normally use my blog for, but I am really confused about this new law (CPSIA) that affects the selling of products geared for children ages 12 and under. Before I posted it on here I checked it out on snopes.com and here is what that website had to say about it:

New Safety Rules for Children's Clothes Have Stores in a Fit

Barring a reprieve, regulations set to take effect in February 2009 could force thousands of clothing retailers and thrift stores to throw away trunk loads of children's clothing.

The law, aimed at keeping lead-filled merchandise away from children, mandates that all products sold for those age 12 and younger -- including clothing -- be tested for lead and phthalates, which are chemicals used to make plastics more pliable. Those that haven't been tested will be considered hazardous, regardless of whether they actually contain lead.

The new regulations take effect Feb. 10 under the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), which was passed by Congress last year in response to widespread recalls of products that posed a threat to children, including toys made with lead or lead-based paint.


When I first heard about this "law" I was very skeptical and thought it was joke. After a few phone calls and verifying it on snopes, I guess I have to come to the conclusion that it is true.
I have so many questions about this law (ok mom you can quit laughing at me)
What does this mean for us?
From what I can gather this law requires that products (including toys, clothing, books, educational materials, bicycles etc) must be tested for lead and be labeled as such.
I am very supportive of testing the toys that our children play with, but clothes??
I frequent thrift stores and consignment shops to buy my children's clothing. So how is this law going to affect them?
How are these type of stores that are usually small business suppose to remain in business and comply with these laws?
Is our government going to supply them with the resources to test every product?
What are the big department stores going to do with products already there that do not have this "seal of approval"?
Is there a grace period for the stores to become compliant with this law after it takes affect?
With these new regulations comes testing for these products. Who is going to cover the costs of this testing? Are the manufacturers going to increase the price of these products to cover these cost? Children's clothing is already ridiculously expensive. Is that a smart thing to do with our economy in the state that it is in?
Why are we not hearing about this law until a month before it is to take affect? Every time I turn on the tv I see the commercial for the "digital tv" and getting into compliance with that. Why has there not be any story on this law?

Ok bloggy friends I want to hear your opinions on this new law. It affects just about everyone of us. So let me know what you think.
In the article above it stated that any thing not meeting the new requirements must be deemed hazardous and discarded. Where do you discard these "hazardous" products? Are our landfills not already overgrown? Well I will step in line to take any discarded hazardous clothing.

8 comments:

Tamara said...

I could not believe this when I read it! This has got to be one of the most stupid things our gov't. has come up with. I had not heard a word about this until today either. I don't see how this can really work. It's a wonder my kids survived all the "bad" toys and clothes they played with and wore!

One thing though...they can't stop you from giving each other hand me downs!

jennifer said...

I think George Washington is rolling over in his grave! The more the government stick their hand in things the more messed up things become! Things like this really spur me on to pray for our leaders.

Kelly Wright said...

Are you kidding me? If department stores are going to throw their children's clothes away, I'll be the first in line by the dumpsters. Clothes with lead in them? This is a JOKE!

The Terrells said...

never heard of it- but it seems ridiculous to me!! let me know what else you find out about it! I agree with tamara- they can't do anything about hand me downs!!

Aimee said...

The DUMBEST this I have EVER heard of.

I don't even know what to say...I second Jennifer...we need to pray for our leaders.

jengallahar said...

I'll be second in line behind Kelly!

Shea said...

W-H-A-T? Are you serious? I'm telling you the day I see dept. stores or any store throw out good clothes is the day I'll be that crazy women on t.v. with a picket sign. There are children in our country and across the world that don't own a pair shoes for goodness sake. My mom reminds me all the time that in "her day" kids didn't even have carseats. They drank milk as infants, along with a long list of DONT'S for parents and kids today. So much of what we, as parents, are afraid of for our children is what we've been forced to fear by government! What is our world coming to that lawmakers can make up such STUPID rules. I have got to learn more about this.

rockinsmiths5 said...

I couldn't sleep last night. I heard about this from a friend of mine who makes childrens clothes. What is wrong with these people? Don't they realize what this will mean for our economy? I know so many moms who stay home with their kids by making and selling childrens clothing and baby slings, ect.. Isn't that what we want for our country? For the jobs to stay here in america, and to have parents home with their children, to strengthen the family unit? Small bussinesses are not going to be able to stay open without government assistance, which I haven't heard about yet! So the jobs go to the big companies, whose clothes are made overseas in places like china- and isn't that where it all started? And don't get me started on the waste. I thought we were trying to go green, to work toward a better planet for our children, our future? I don't know about you guys, but I am writing letters toady, to Obama and everyone down the line. They already made an exception for used clothing stores (thankfully)- though it will take time to actually change the law, they are being exempt at this time. They had to because of all the uproar from the owners. As mothers, as american citizens, we should all take some form of action. This will affect everyone.