Wednesday, November 10, 2010
I was contacted by the author, Jocelyn Green, and was asked if I would like to review this book and give-a-way a copy of it to two lucky readers. Well, I jumped at the chance to be able to do this. I reviewed this book a little over a year ago at the end of our 2nd deployment and now that we are in #3, I found myself already turning the pages of this very uplifting and encouraging devotional.
Here is an excerpt from the introduction:
If you have ever felt overlooked and undernourished as you strive daily to meet the needs of everyone around you-in a culture that largely does not understand your stressful lifestyle-this book is for you. Faith Deployed: Daily Encouragement for Military Wives is not a guide to long-distance relationships or a how-to on navigating through the military culture. It does not offer “ten easy steps” for an easier, painless life. Instead, through squarely addressing the challenges you face, Faith Deployed will equip you to respond biblically to the daily struggles that threaten to wear you down.
As a Christian and a military reservist wife who has been through multiple deployments, I am always on the look-out for a book for military wives that is written from a Christian perspective (NOT a follow these "ten easy steps" for a smooth deployment) If that is what you are looking for, then this is the book for you! I found this book to be full of compassion and grace. Each writer featured in this devotional have not only been there done that, they bring these experiences to readers while offering hope to those who are experiencing the unique demands of the military life and are in need of comfort. As many of you know, deployment is a very trying and challenging time. Not only is deployment challenging on our marriages and families, but it can also be challenging in our walk with God. This book is filled with devotions and appropriate scriptures that remind us of the hope we have in Christ and that in spite of the emotional roller coaster we can rest in that hope. The contributing authors in Faith Deployed shared stories of struggle that I could identify with. I was so inspired, often moved to tears, and uplifted all at the same time by reading their stories. Not only did the authors share their struggles, but they challenged me to look deeper (asking myself where my true feelings were), encouraged me to pray and jolted my efforts toward Christ
In closing, there are 2 things I want you to know:
1. The focus of this book is the unchanging, everlasting character of God. Even in our darkest storms He does not change!
2. I highly recommend this book if you are a military spouse, know someone who is a military spouse, or would like a glimpse into the struggles faced by the military spouse. The devotionals are easy to read and really are a “daily encouragement for military wives”
Also, check out these awards that Faith Deployed has received:
Faith Deployed: Daily Encouragement for Military Wives won:
· Bronze Medal, spiritual/religious category, Military Writers Society of America (award presented in Pittsburgh on Oct. 2, 2010)
· Bronze Medal, inspirational category, Branson Stars and Flags Book Awards (award will be presented in Branson, Mo., Nov. 6 – but I will not be able to be there)
· (The book’s Web site, www.faithdeployed.com, won third place in the blog category this year from the Evangelical Press Association, too.)
If you would like more information on this book, please check out the website by clicking HERE.
So…how do you win this book???? Simply leave me a comment telling me if this book would be for you or if you would like to win it for someone you know . That is all! =) This will be open until Nov. 13 at 5pm central. At that time I will choose randomly 2 lucky winners.