Photobucket

Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Very Long Day

Yesterday was a very long, very violent weather day for my Sweet Home Alabama.  Here in our little part of the country, tornadoes are pretty common...but yesterday was not common, not in the least little bit.

So far the report is 128 confirmed dead in our state...128...I can't look at that number without tears immediately filling my eyes.  I can't look at that number without my next response being prayer...begging God to please comfort those families.

"He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Psalm 147:3

Of that 128 number, 4 are from the county I live in.  I fear that the number is going to rise as now the sun is rising and the clean up effort continues...Lord, please help these families...please comfort them.
"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." John 14:18

I just received word that our schools are closed again today....We are off to help those in our area who were not as fortunate as we were.  This is an opportunity for me to show Christ's love and to teach my children about loving others.

I will leave you with just a few pictures from yesterday.


This is Jack and Madeline with our neighbors little girl, Jaley.  My neighbors came and stayed in our basement with us.  It was so nice not to be alone yesterday.


This is a picture I took from my patio last night just as the tornado was being reported in our area. 



Below are some pictures of the tornadoes that crossed through our state yesterday.  The following photos were taken from ABC 33/40
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling
Psalm 46:1-3



"I will not leave you or forsake you." Joshua 1:5


"I went to the Lord for help.  He answered me and rescued me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4



These photos were also taken from ABC 33/40 and they show just a glimpse of the destruction:
"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down but not destroyed; " 2Corinthians 4:8


"The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles."  Psalm 34:17


And the pictures below hit too close to home.  These pictures were shared by my friend, Jenny.  Jenny is a sweet friend and a fellow military spouse whose husband is deployed with my hubby and brother.  Jenny shared these pictures yesterday of her parents home after it was hit yesterday morning.  Her parents are fine, but as you can see the home and car are not.  Her dad was actually in the home when it was hit.  Amazing that he was not harmed.
"In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Romans 8:37



"Do not be afriad because I am with you.  Do not be intimidated; I am your God.  I will strengthen you.  I will help you.  I will support you with my victorious right hand."  Isaiah 41:10

So, as I said, today school is closed. The kids and I are off to see how we can help...

"Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus" II Timothy 2:3

Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please stay safe!

The Allen Family said...

what a wonderful post!!! i have been thinking about you, i'm glad you had your neighbors with you yesterday :)

what a WONDERFUL hands on experience for your kids to see and be the hands of Christ today! just AWESOME!

Tonya said...

Thank God for his hand of protection over you, your family, and friends! My heart and prayers go out to those that loss their loved ones and possessions during this storm. Our news station interrupted regular news to show the tornado live and I couldn't do anything but stop and pray to God for help.

This is a wonderful post, encouraging us all to pray for those in need!

The Cibulas said...

What a great post! I loved the verses. Thank you for sharing and reminding us all to pray for those in need.

Christina said...

I'm praying for your safety. This is so sad. So devastating. It's hard to believe all this weather. It is destroying so much. I hope tornado weather passes right NOW!

Unknown said...

Haunting pictures...such devastation. Praying with you for those affected and praising God for our safety and yours.

Holly said...

My heart is so heavy for our state! We rode around this morning and didn't have to go far to see total destruction. The path of the Ohatchee tornado was less than a mile from our house. It is unlike anything I have ever seen. God bless those that lost everything! THank you for this sweet post. God's word offers such great promises!!

Modern Military said...

That is so scary! Glad you are ok!