Photobucket

Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Book Review

Through my blog, I have been put in touch with so many fellow military wives whom I likely would not have ever come in to contact with. It has been so remarkable to "meet" people who are in the same stage of life that I am in. I have also came across some wonderful blogs, websites, and resources. Through these outlets I have "met" a wonderful Christian military wife and author, Jocelyn Green. Jocelyn authored a book "Faith Deployed, Daily Encouragement For Military Wives." She asked me to review her book and share my thoughts. I put a review on amazon, but I really wanted to share a review on my blog because I wanted to make sure that you, my readers, knew about this wonderful book.



Picture of the cover of the book.


Here is an excerpt from the introduction:
If you have ever felt overlooked and undernourished as you strive daily to meet the needs of everyone around you-in a culture that largely does not understand your stressful lifestyle-this book is for you. Faith Deployed: Daily Encouragement for Military Wives is not a guide to long-distance relationships or a how-to on navigating through the military culture. It does not offer “ten easy steps” for an easier, painless life. Instead, through squarely addressing the challenges you face, Faith Deployed will equip you to respond biblically to the daily struggles that threaten to wear you down.

As a Christian and a military reservist wife who has been through multiple deployments, I am always on the look-out for a book for military wives that is written from a Christian perspective (NOT a follow these "ten easy steps" for a smooth deployment) If that is what you are looking for, then this is the book for you! If your spouse, or someone you know, has been deployed or is about to deploy, I highly recommend this book. Those of us who have been through deployments knows the stress and anxiety of the experience. The contributing authors in Faith Deployed shared stories of struggle that I could identify with. I was so inspired, often moved to tears, and uplifted all at the same time by reading their stories. Not only did the authors share their struggles, but they challenged me to look deeper (asking myself where my true feelings were), encouraged me to pray and jolted my efforts toward Christ.



This is the author, Jocelyn Green.
Thank you, Jocelyn, for sending me this book! Thank you for writing a book for those of us who are left behind in the storm. Thank you for writing a book that encourages and strengthens me in my walk with Christ (even in the darkest of days)



Jocelyn and her husband (Coast Guard)

In closing, there are 2 things I want you to know:
1. The focus of this book is the unchanging, everlasting character of God. Even in our darkest storms He does not change!
2. I highly recommend you purchase this book if you are a military spouse, know someone who is a military spouse, or would like a glimpse into the struggles faced by the military spouse.

Jessica

3 comments:

kimberly t. bowling said...

Thanks for this book recommendation. I have several friends whose husbands are on their 2nd or 3rd tour. This is a great find, and perfect, "just because" gift.

God Bless you and your husband, and the family for his service.

Anonymous said...

Such a small think. ;-) But such a great idea

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your information!