Photobucket

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Swim Lessons and the 10 Minute Marriage...






As you can see Jackson has been taking swimming lessons this week. Boy has that been an adventure. I am not really sure what I had hoped he would acquire from taking swim lessons. In my day dreams I thought it sure would be great for Jack to know how to swim so this summer he could swim (virtually unassisted) while I tend to Madzilla (aka Madeline). The first night was not so successful. He did not want to do anything (except leave) Of course this is the night when 3 cameras (1 video and 2 regular) are on him. Doesn't it always work out like that though? Oh well, I lower my expectations for the 2nd night and he did great! I mean even swimming under the water (this was such a big step from the 1st night) Plus it was just he and I which was great for us! Ok so now my hopes are high again...well Wed. he tells me all day "I don't want to go swimming" My response "Too bad, we sometimes have to do things we don't like to do" (boy that is such a mom response) So he cried most of the lesson. Even through "circle time" when we sing a silly song and do motions (should I say the parents do motions and sing) And so today he tells me he does not want to go swimming. I am torn here. I am not raising a quitter, but I also do not want him to resent swimming if I force him to do this. (Now I feel myself remembering all my child psychology classes) Anyone else ever been in a situation like this and could offer up some advice?

Anyway...I have been able to talk to Jason daily which is so wonderful, but he is only allowed one 10 minute phone call a day. This is hard. By the time he talks to the kids and I catch him up on things that are going on it is time to go. Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful that we at least get 10 minutes, some people do not even get that. But I am being selfish here and wanting more time. (I am praying about that though) Jason moved from the tents to what will hopefully be more permanent housing for him. He should have an address soon for anyone who would like to write to him. I am not going to post it on the blog, but if you want it please let me know (email me at jessicacrow@bellsouth.net) Thanks for continuing to check the blog and especially for remembering us in your prayers.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I am so thankful you get the 10 minutes a day to talk with Jason. I am sure it is hard, since it is such a short time, but I imagine it is one of the highlights of your day.
Swim lessons are great. I think as he press through he will eventually get the hang of it and feel very proud to swim. He just has to get past the fearful stage which is hard to. Love the picture of Madeline at the pool, she looks so adorable.

Barb

Lisa said...

Hey Jessica. I am so glad he's learning to swim. It makes summer so much easier when they swim on their own. We are still praying for y'all everyday. If we forget, the kids remind us:) I understand what you mean about 10 minutes.... I can hardly get my greetings out in 10 minutes... but I am long winded. Have a good weekend!!!
Lisa